Think local. Act global. Learn more about the Peace Corps

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Feelin Strong...

Greetings again from Honduras. Things have been going along just well here with a lot of work, a lot of play, and continued good experiences.

I just wrote an email to Elisabeth’s host mom and thought it was funny when she asked how my health was. I replied to her that it was up and down. Upon further reflection I think my body has been through a bit.

To recap, since I have been here I’ve had Ecoli, 3 parasites, a bacterial infection of the stomach due to bad food, and I recently just finished medication for a strong stomach bacteria called H. Pylori. All this makes me laugh a bit. I think of it that my body is just getting stronger inside. At least I will keep telling myself that.

Then I started thinking how already I feel stronger in many ways. Mentally I have already been through some real tough hardships that have made me view the world in different ways. It’s hard to explain how this place broadens the mind but it sure does.

Physically I have convinced myself to start working out again. My folks brought me down some work out gear and I’m putting it to good use. I started this program called P90X. It’s an everyday workout program for 90 days. It’s a real burner man. I’ve already had to skip days but still tryin. Even though I may not stick to the everyday routine, even a couple days a week will make me feel it.

I am getting stronger in the sense of how to work with the people down here and how to get projects going in a team work way. It may sound simple but finding a way to get all cylinders working on projects here is tough.

I think I just feel stronger too, as a person. That’s the good part. I’m living, focusing on what I want to, and feeling good about me. In the great film “Into The Wild” Emile Hirsch plays Christopher McCandless. Hirsch recites a quote that hit me the first time I heard it, and I always remember here in the Peace Corps… he says “I read somewhere... how important it is in life not necessarily to be strong... but to feel strong.” Right on brother., I’m doing my best.

The journey man…its great.

No comments:

Post a Comment